Author: Tufts STOMP
Time: 3 - 4 45 minute class periods
Description: Students will use LEGOs to design a creature that is adapted to life in the ocean.
- To apply engineering problem-solving strategies to creat a sturdy structure with LEGOs that has a least one moving part.
- To demonstrate an understanding of animal adapations by designing a creature with features adapted to life in the ocean to help it breathe, eat, move, protect itself, and adjust to warm and cold temperatures.
Preparation and Setup:
- Sea Creatures Design Brainstorming sheet
- Sea Creatures Design Worksheet
- Our Sea Creature Paragraph planning Worksheet
- LEGO kits
- Make photocopies of worksheets.
- Arrange students in groups of two.
- Distribute necessary materials.
- Introduce the concept of animal adaptations, with a focus on whales. (e.g., blowholes for breathing, blubber for warmth and feeding in winter, baleen teeth for eating, fins/flippers/flukes for moving though water, warm blood for keeping warm)
- Review different types of adaptations that would help different creatures survive in the ocean. (e.g., clam shells for protection, bird's wings and hollow bones for flight, cat's whiskers for feeling)
- Have each student fill out a sea creature adaptation brainstorming sheet.
- Have students get into their groups and combine ideas to make come up with a sea creature that the group wants to design. Each design should have at least one element from every group members original brainstorm.
- Students should complete a Sea Creature Design Worksheet as a group.
- Distribute kits and allow students to start building.
- Each student should write a paragraph describing his/her creature. They will include a name for their creature and at least 3 features that are an adaptation to life in the sea.
- Students will present their work to the class, demonstrating and describing all adaptations.
- CEEO Curriculum Website - http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo.
- Teacher observation of the LEGO creature.
- Student presentations
- Student's worksheets.